Visiting again? - updates
Ed Thelen's Nike Missile Web Siteed@ed-thelen.org
Buys a cup of coffee
"Peace in our time"?? - Russia invades Ukraine, China threatens Taiwan.
United Nations Security Council, the 5 members with veto power
include Russia & China
Russia is attacking Ukraine, Ukraine is so desirable
China threatens Tiawan, Taiwan has TSMC
The Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC),
is the world's largest, best, and most valuable semiconductor manufacturer.
China makes 12 times more steel and burns 7 times as much coal than the U.S.
If the U.S. gets into a serious war, it will have to import more steel from China.
Table of Contents. This site presents a great deal of Nike Hercules historical, technical and operational information and provides extensive links to Nike related books, documents, museums and to other Nike related web sites. This site also provides a photographic tour of Nike site SF-88 (being restored), location and status of Nike sites, and a List of Nike People, some on-line documents, a bulletin board, a search, a Photo Exchange, an FAQ, and a variety of other features.
2019, the Russians are playing "games" again.
Table of Contents
gotta have a little fun
(Model) Nike Launches from BA-79 just outside of Baltimore
from David Zuchero - Jun 22, 2020
I am working with a group of volunteers who are restoring BA-79 just outside of Baltimore. Last week I launched a scale model of the Nike Hercules from BA-79 off of the one of the elevator doors. Probably the first time any Nike every left the launch site at that base, lucky for all of us!
from JP Moore
This example shows the importance of accuracy in your tax return.
The IRS has returned the Tax Return to a man in New York City after he apparently answered one of the questions incorrectly.
In response to the question, ... "Do you have anyone dependent on you?"
the man wrote: ... "12 million single mothers, 7.1 million illegal immigrants, 1.1 million crack-heads, 4.4 million unemployable scroungers, 80,000 criminals in over 85 prisons, plus 450 idiots in Congress and a group that call themselves Politicians."
The IRS stated that the response he gave was unacceptable.
The man's response back to the IRS was.... "Who did I leave out?"
"Dilbert" view of tax complexity - more - I can't stop
Comments on today's world
Why I like retirement
to help ex-President Obama as he ponders terror, FBI, Harry Truman
Civil Asset Forfeiture, A little Bit of Reality, Commentary, the NFL, 9/11
Reagan's Soviet Jokes, We Forgot!, Senate Testimony
"Carbon Footprint" - 2021 Steel production, China produces 52.8% of the world's crude steel.
12.0 times the U.S. steel production, which is less than either India or Japan.
"Green" California buys most of the steel for its bridges and structures from China!
Thomas Sowell, Cancel Culture Comes to France,
Another election year Political Cartoons
Maybe we are getting the quality of government we pay for?? - as of June 2021
- Senior software engineers in San Jose, CA get an average of $166,452 (indeed.com)
(and can live at home)
- Senators and House Representatives get $174,000 per year.
(and need to live in near Washington DC and in their home district!)
- My "liberal" friends point out that they also get free haircuts and other "benefits" -
- Senior Major League Baseball umpires can earn upwards of $350,000 per year.
- The president of the U.S. gets $400,000 plus free haircuts ;--)
- and either protection or abuse from "the media", depending -
- Nancy Farber, CEO of our local hospital, got $1,200,835 in 2019
- I drive extra miles to avoid that screwed up place
- Buster Posey, a SF Giants baseball player, got $22,177,777/year.
- Enough to pay the salaries of 127 members of Congress
- In 2020, Roger Goodell (NFL) was slated to make $40 million
!! Disinformation from Copernicus !!Consensus of philosophers agree with Aristotle.
Disagreeing with Aristotle, Copernicus claims:
a) The earth turns around once a day.
b) The earth goes around the sun once a year.
c) The earth is not the center of the universe.
To halt spread of the above disinformation:
a) Copernicus book is on the Forbidden List.
b) Giordano Bruno didn't recant - burned alive.
c) Galileo recanted - permanent house arrest.
Stamp Out Disinformation and Copernicus
Is the DGB
Disinformation Governance Board
Roman Inquisition ??
What Nike is all about
Created in 2021, an excellent 13 minute Youtube by Scott Manley
Oddly, I can find nothing to quibble about! Very unusual -
Sott also mentions the WWII German AA rocket, the Wasserfall, hand guided, never fielded/used.
Nike Hercules Missile Q5 High Altitude Intercept - 1.5 minutes
This three minute video is a (successful :-) test of an early Nike Ajax destroying a radio controlled WW-II B-17. Later tests verified that the Nike Ajax was also a killer of higher flying sub and supersonic jets such as used by the Soviet Union. The next generation was the Nike Hercules which was faster, longer range, and could carry nuclear warheads to destroy multiple targets.
The "plotting room" equipment shown in this video must have been an engineering prototype - Things were much more crowded when installed in the two vans - among other things, the plotting boards here are horizontal, in the BC van, they are vertical. The analog computer operational amplifiers are different, big tubes here, in the vans they were "miniature" tubes, and on and on - the zero set switches (the round spinning things in the analog computer) were a little different style -
I think you could say that this equipment was "re-packaged" for field use.
Mike Stucka, a staff writer for the Taunton Daily Gazette, was looking for images for a Nike story and e-mailed "This story is interesting, and everyone is so darned helpful."
( That story has disappeared - I should have made a "local copy" ! )
I thought for a bit and replied:
"These were good days for lots of now older folks - and we were quite proud of - the learning experience - some of us even got a little more "mature" ;-)) - doing something useful - better than flipping hamburgers or selling shoes ?
"Most look back and smile, and like to share the warm feeling :-))"
This site has become a cooperative effort as more than 350 people have contributed text, stories, ideas, information, and corrections.
The Nike surface to air missile system was named after the winged goddess of victory in Greek mythology. Two versions of this system defended the U.S. and other places from hostile aircraft.
The 1st version, the Nike Ajax, was deployed in the U.S. from 1954 to the early 1960s. It had an effective range of 25 miles.
The 2nd version, the Nike Hercules, was developed which was faster, had a range of over 75 miles, and had nuclear capability. The Hercules was deployed starting in 1958. In 1963, there were 134 Nike Hercules and 77 Nike Ajax batteries defending the U. S. - as per "Rings of Supersonic Steel".
Both versions above are made light and transportable by wheeled vehicles, transportable in cargo planes for "easy" mobility. With practice and preparation, a site could be moved in a long, hard day. As many parts as practical are made of aluminum or magnesium, the standard power frequency is 400 Hertz (cycles per second) saving iron and weight in transformers and motors as in aircraft.
The Hercules is still in use (with an improved computer and a few other enhancements) by several countries today.
This web site does not present photos, histories, nor detailed status of most NIKE sites. I link to other web sites take up that interesting challenge.
Almost all Nike Hercules related information has been declassified - the only exceptions are some IFF (Identification Friend or Foe) information, some flight characteristics, and some nuclear warhead information. This site has a little information on the Nike Ajax, and no information on Nike Zeus (external link), also youtube A 20-year History of Antiballistic Missile Systems.
I installed and maintained Nike Ajax fire control equipment (radars & computer) at Chicago site C-41 during 1955-1957. Maybe "we" deterred "them". I have served as a volunteer helping restore an old Nike site (SF-88) near San Francisco for the National Park Service.
About submitting photos to this web site.
Two "action" pictures and four movies
Hercules Night Launch,
(17 K bytes)
From previous army pictures at
Nike Ajax Intercept - 1 minute, Internet Archive
Nike Hercules Intercept - 1.5 min, Internet Archive
Hercules Launchs - 6 min, YouTube
Nike Hercules night launch
The missile (with booster) was launched 0.4 seconds ago, is accelerating at 25 times the force of earth's gravity, has risen 60 feet, and it is now going 210 miles per hour.
Four seconds from now, the missile will be:
If the target is 90 miles approaching at mach 1.5, the missile will meet the target 60 miles away in 90 seconds.
- going 1,700 miles per hour straight up,
- separated from the booster, (the black flaming thing with the white fins),
- turning (diving) towards the intercept point with the target,
- starting the sustainer rocket engine to reach 2,700 miles per hour.
The Nike Hercules shown here defended major U.S. target areas against aircraft attack from 1958 to 1974. It had an effective range of over 75 miles and a speed of mach 3.6. South Korea has over 200 of these missiles, with associated radars and guidance systems, currently in service.
Its predecessor, the smaller Nike Ajax, was in service from 1954 through about 1965. It had a range of 25 miles and a speed of mach 2.5.
... ... Click here for expanded graphics scanned by Pete Wurzbach C/4/562 Alvarado, Texas
A short easy introduction to the Nike Anti-Aircraft system - from Michael Keller - posted May 3, 2013 Click on image to download the .pdf "Camp Sarafi", South Korea
from Al Dietz ... I believe the balloon antennas are left to right: TTR, TRR, and MTR. The LOPAR acquisition radar is behind the building.
I don't normally post pictures of individual sites (too many), but isn't this bleak ?? Gads - imagine winter -
Lumberton, New Jersey PH23/25, Rich Lewis photo study
A local HTML version, (I worry about "good stuff" going away.)
This is a plot of a Nike Hercules intercepting a target flying at 52,000 feet.
The vertical scale is altitude in feet. (max 100,000 feet)
The left trace is the Nike missile, the right is the target.
The horizonal scale is computed time to intercept, in seconds.
The middle is time zero, intercept.
Note: Against high flying targets such as this, the Hercules does not necessarily go above the target.
from TM9-1400-250-10/2 page 36, Manual
The Cuban Missile Crisis by James Whitaker (Nike, South Florida)
Click on image to download the .pdf
Good news. The Cold War Study of Nike Hercules in South Florida ($19.95 plus shipping) has been re-released in pdf format as a public domain document.
The tours of HM-69 has been overwhelming at Everglades National Park for the second year. Tours will be conducted through the end of March.
Charles D. Carter
The Cold War is an Electronic War (Soviets shot down 23 of our ELINT Planes) 36 minutes through 44 minutes
Cover of 2 MByte brochure Just found this nice piece on Ebay. Printing Date is 10-15-56. "The purpose of this booklet is to inform high-school graduates-and their parents-of the matchless opportunities that lie within the Army Antiaircraft Command." Well, most of the once-adressed kids will be retired by now, but maybe they remember this booklet. Its a 3 page folder, size 500mm x 100mm. (Yes I prefer metric) :) But look, on the frontcover: seems that track LIMA296 has slipped through!! :)) It has a beautiful painting inside, and a funny 70's scene on the backside. It contains the original Team Nike decal, and a small brochure. Both items came to me together with the MISSILE MASTER booklet. [600 KB]
The diameter of the decal is 4,06 inch. (103 mm)
with kind regards from germany,
A recruiting brochure featuring the Nike Hercules, "Now making its appearance on-site."
- Acoustic Ears
- Pre-Nike (Anti-Aircraft Guns)
- Remember history? World's Biggest Bomb
- Nike Historical Information
- First Nike Missile Site
- Nike Technical Background, Then & Now
- Nike Ajax destroying a B-17 bomber - from Kevin Appert
- Nike Hercules, - 10 minutes - recommended by Jon Little
- "Archie to SAM - A Short Operational History of Ground-Based Air Defense" - a Great book!! - InternetArchive, Amazon
Nike in Overall Air Defense
TU-4 "Bull" Bomber
photo credit Wikipedia
TU-95 "Bear" Bomber
TU-22M "Backfire" Bomber
photo credit Wikipedia
- 416L is the name of the North American air defense system. ( 28 page, 3.3 MByte .pdf document )
- DEW Line Distant Early Warning Line - more
- Pine Tree Line (with techie error about how radar cooks)
- Some info on Texas Towers 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, AirForce, ...
- SAGE (Semi-Automatic Ground Environment)
- MIT - Lincoln Laboratory - SAGE
Nike Site Technical information
- Nike Site Overview
- Nike Integrated Fire Control (IFC) Area Overview
- Acquisition Radars
- Battery Control
- Tracking Radars
- IFC Test Instruments other than Radar Aiming Alignment
- Lesson 8. Target Simulation - 1.2 megabytes
- - IFF Symbols and FUIF symbols
- Greg's Nike Utilities fans, heaters, event recorder, ...
- Nike Radars and Computer Manual, MMS subcourse number 150
- Nike Training Films
- Nike Launcher Area Overview
- Formal Names
- Nike Hercules Updates Allied Supportability Program
- Good news ;-)) Nike not considered obsolete. ;-))
Nike Operational information
- Command and Control of Nike Batteries
- NORAD History via Greg Brown
- Nike Hercules deliveries, from Ken Bahr
- Life on a Nike Site
- Nike Missions Surface-to-Air, Surface-to-Surface, Radar Bomb Scoring
- Nike Battery Alert
- Nuclear Nike Launch Authentication Procedures
- Target Practice
- Nike Site Support
- Documents from a Battery Commander - from Earl Close
- The National Guard *is* Ready
- US Army units on NATO Countries Batteries -by Richard Scheffler
- Life before Transistors
- Nike "Kill Ratio"? or "How good was Nike"??
- Closing a Nike Site by Edward Dowd
- Un-Numbered Documents - sorted
- 412L Aircraft Warning & Control System 1959-1980 7 megabytes, from Jim Tarbet
412L Systems Drawing, from Jim Tarbet
- Ajax Firing Report - Text , Event Recorder from ???
- An Antiaircraft Artilleryman 1939-1970, - my life in the antiaircraft for 30 years from private in 205th CA(AA) Seattle National Guard to retired Army colonel." by Wilfred O. Boettiger (now for sale at Xlibris)
- Antiaircraft Journal 1948-1954 - spotted by Mark Morgan via Ron Pickinpaugh added July 2010
- Army National Guard in Air Defense 51-74 - from Danny Johnson - 18 MBytes
- Army Preventive Maintenance Magazine - Notes, Nike - from Michael Keller
- Colonel Loop's Nike papers, added Oct 6, 2019
- Emerging Shield .PDF from the Air Force History Office. - spotted by Peter Goetz P.Geol.
- EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse) Effects from Nuclear Space Bursts 1962 Test Bursts and Analysis, EPRI HEMP 2017 Executive Summary, EPRI HEMP 2017
- Excess Report, NIKE Hercules Site D-FW-20, Terrel, Texas,
- - .pdf, 1.12 Megabytes, includes site drawings, thanks to Mark Berhow,
- Field Trip to North Bay - (to see a SAGE installation) by Gordon Bell (12 megabyte .pdf)
- History of the OOZLEFINCH by Errol Porter (Published with permission.)
- Hydraulic fluids, specs, from Greg Brown - Launcher fluid is AeroShell 41, Elevator fluid is Tellus S2MX 68
- [ICBM] INTERCEPT TEST HITS BULL'S-EYE We couldn't do this with Nike
- Last Line of Defense from the National Park Service
- Missile Master - brochure - Thanks to Robert C Barr
- NATO Nike Upgrades Pamphlet scanned by NPS
- Nike AJAX Historical Monograph OCR, PDF, by M. Cagle
- Nike Elevator Student Handout
- Nike Elevator Training - Ft Belvoir
- NIKE Hercules in service in the Royal Netherlands Airforce - Updated Dec 2018
- Nike-Hercules Technical Data - by Western Electric, about half the pages, 10 MBytes - from Greg Brown
- Nike-Hercules System Nuclear Training Directorate - via Greg Brown (4.8 MB)
- Nike HERCULES Historical Monograph OCR, PDF, by M. Cagle, via M. Berhow
- Nike - U.S. Army Toxic and Hazardous ..., also local copy via Ken Conger - Mar 2014 - 3.3 MB
- NikeAjaxOrd&PropellantHandlingProcedures-1-July-1954-TempSites.pdf 1.2 MB, from Ron Plante Mar 21, 2014
- Production of Hercules Missiles by Douglas Aircraft - thanks to Tony Moore
- RAND Study RM-2560 NIKE Ajax reliability study from Cory Newman
- Redstone Arsenal, 11 minute publicity video - spotted by Olav ten Broek
- "Ring of Fire" Could Nike missiles have protected U.S. cities from a Soviet attack? on www.radones.org
- Introduction to SAGE, 14 page visitor's document
- A SAGE Movie - thanks to Ben Abzug
- The Nike Preservation Group Newsletters
- SF-88 Nike News
- Greg Brown "was trolling through the internet on the NPS GGNA, and found the document that was submitted to the Feds for SF-88 to be an Historical site in 1973."
- The Launching Pad 5th Missile Battalion Veterans
- To Defend and Deter: The Legacy of the United States Cold War Missile Program Warning - 70 megabytes of .pdf - - spotted by Dave Fields
- U.S. Army Air Defense Digest 1965
- "US Army Air Defense Digest, 1972" a Management Overview of US Air Defenses
- U.S. Army Nike Brochure (Improved Hercules, recruiting)
- "US Army Air Defense Digest, 1966" a Management Overview of US Air Defenses
- Vigilant and Invincible(local back-up)
- W-25: The Davidsonville Site and Maryland Air Defense, 1950-1974 by Merle T. Cole
- "What We Have, We Shall Defend: An Interim History and Preservation Plan for Nike Site SF-88L, Fort Barry, California" by J.A. Martini and S.A. Haller, National Park Service GGNRA, San Francisco, CA, Feb 1998 External link to NPS, local copy - (870 kBytes)
- Winged Victory - The History of the Nike Missile Training Program At Fort Bliss 48 pages, 7 megabytes
- Numbered Documents - sorted- a .pdf file of the manual - spotted by Tom Page
- Two lists of Nike Documents, List-Nike-Technical-Manuals.pdf and GOGA-List-of-Manuals.pdf from Charles D. Carter
- Eight of the GOGA scanned manuals size reduced by https://www.ilovepdf.com/compress_pdf
- 750-1-2 Preventive Maintenance Guide for Commanders Aug 1975 - 6.3 MegaBytes - via Google Books
- AD-755-200 Army-Inflatable-Tents Reference Manual on Shelters - Nike Maintenance Protection - pages 36-39, 10 MBytes - spotted by Charles D. Carter June 2011 ( pages 36-39 only 250 KBytes)
- FM 44-1 - July 1962 1965 U.S. Army - Air Defense Employment
- FM 44-1A - September 1965 U.S. Army - Air Defense Employment- a .pdf file of the Hercules part of the manual - via Greg Brown
- FM 44-8 Antiaircraft Operations Center and Antiaircraft Artillery Information Service December 1954, 8 MByte .pdf, scanned by Cory Newman
- FM 44-8 - Army Air Defense Command Posts August 1962, with change 1 - 1964, 2 MByte .pdf, scanned by Cory Newman
- FM 44-9 - AN/TSQ-51 Missile Mentor System, August 1967, 5.4 MByte, copy from Cory Newman
- FM 44-10 U.S. Army Air Defense Fire Distribution System AN/FSG-1 (Missile Master) February 1963, 6 MByte .pdf, scanned by Cory Newman, images trimmed by Ed Thelen
- FM 44-16B/CM, Commander's Manual, Hercules Missile Crewman, MOS 16B Google Books, via Greg Brown
- FM-44-24Q1-2 Soldier's Manual MOS 24Q - Nike Hercules Fire Control Mechanic Skill Levels 1 and 2 Google Books
- FM44-80 - Procedures and Drills of the Nike I System - Table of Contents, Manual - 24 MByte .pdf
- MMS Subcourse Number 150 - Nike Radars and Computer Manual, MMS Subcourse Number 150, revised November 1973
- MMS Subcourse Number 151 - Nike Missile and Test Equipment Manual, MMS Subcourse Number 151, revised November 1973
- MMS Subcourse Number 900 - Lesson 2. Major Units of the Nike Hercules Missile - from Manual, MMS Subcourse Number 900, "Nike Missile Maintenance" Revised March 1973 - 2.1 megabytes
- MWO 9-1400-250-30-22 Modification Work Order, to Launcher area
- PIO4324, "On Site On Guard", 1963 2 MBytes
- ST-44-188 - AN/TPS-1G, a close relative of the AN/FPS-75 ABAR acquisition radar used in some Nike sites
- Introduction to Radar ST-44-188-1 - from Chuck Zellers
- Introduction and Start-Stop to the AN/TPS-1G ST-44-188-2G - from Chuck Zellers - 3.8 megabytes
- Modulator and transmitter of the AN/TPS-1G ST-44-188-3G - from Chuck Zellers - 2.5 megabytes
- AN/TPS-1G Receiver System ST-44-188-4G - from Chuck Zellers - 2.08 megabytes
- AN/TPS-1G Moving Target Indicator System ST-44-188-5G
- (Chapters 1 - 4) - 2.1 megabytes (Chapters 4+ - ) - 2.7 megabytes - from Chuck Zellers
- AN/TPS-1G Indicator System ST-44-188-6G - 3.8 megabytes - from Chuck Zellers
- T1 Field Manual 7.6 megabytes - thanks to Rolf D Goerigk
- TM-5-1450-201-15 Elevator, Hydraulic, Guided Missile, Automatically Operated Doors - 31 MBytes
and Elevator Docs via Bruce Long,
TM 9-1400-250-10/2 - A great introduction to the Nike Hercules system, in technical manual format - 135 pages, and also in smaller sections. (There is also a Tactical Control section) TM-9-1410-250-12/1 - OPERATOR AND ORG MAINTENANCE MANUAL: MIM-14A AND MIM-14B (NIKE-HERCULES AND IMPROVED NIKE-HERCULES) November 1967 TM-9-1410-250-24P-1-2 Organizational, Direct Support and General Support Maintenance Repair Parts and Special Tools list Including Depot Maintenance Repairs parts and special Tools - Illustration Supplement for ... MIM-14B and MIM-14C - - 10 MB .pdf TM 9-1410-1250-12/1(FMS) Intercept-Areal Guided Missile MIM-14A, B, C - July 1981, 88 MBytes - from Rolf Goerigk TM 9-1430-250-10 Operators's Manual: RADAR COURSE DIRECTION CENTRAL (HERCULES) - scanned by NPS, collection GOGA 35286NIKE I Systems, - 4.5 MB - from Greg Brown TM 9-1430-250-10/3 Operators's Manual: ELECTRONIC COUNTER-COUNTERMEASURES: RADAR COURSE DIRECTION CENTRAL (HERCULES)- scanned by NPS, collection GOGA 35286 TM9-1430-250-12P/10/2 Illustration Supplement for ... (Improved Nike-Herc) - 12 MByte TM 9-1430-250-15P/2/2 Supplement for RADAR COURSE DIRECTING CENTRAL ANTENNA-RECEIVER-TRANSMITTER GROUP ACQUISITION OA-1601/T ... Part 1, Part 2 scanned by Michael Keller "from Germany" - Acq rotation drive near page 88 TM-9-1430-250-15P/9/1 Radar Course Directing Central Director Station - 1969 @ SF-88 TM-9-1430-259-15P/10/2 (IFC) Tracking Radar Control Trailer TM-9-1430-250-20-5 Organizational Maintenance Theory: Radar Course Directing Central (less HIPAr)- scanned by NPS, collection GOGA 35286 TM-9-1430-250-20-11 Organizational Maintenance Theory: Theory: Low Power Acquisition Radar System (ATBM)- scanned by NPS, collection GOGA 35286 TM-9-1430-250-24P-9-1 special tools ... for Director Station @ SF-88 TM 9-1430-250-24P-22-2 ILLUSTRATION SUPPLEMENT FOR ANTENNA-RECEIVER-TRANSMITTER GROUP, MISSILE TRACKING TRAILER MOUNTED OA-1340/MPAA 1430-000-586-4996- scanned by NPS, collection GOGA 35286 TM 9-1430-250-35 FIELD AND DEPOT MAINTENANCE: THEORY: ACQUISITION RADAR SYSTEM (Hercules)- scanned by NPS, collection GOGA 35286 TM 9-1430-250-35P/2/2 (LOPAR) ACQUISITION RADAR SYSTEM, Illustrations, Assembly Parts Breakdown (Hercules)- scanned by NPS, collection GOGA 35286 TM-9-1430-251-12/3 Unit Schematic Diagrams - Computer System and Data Recorder @ SF-88 TM-9-1430-252-12/2 Unit Schematic Diagrams - Target Tracking and Missile Tracking Radar Systems and Radar Test Set TS-847/MSW-1 - October 1966 @ SF-88 TM-9-1430-253-12-4 Overall Physical description of the Radar Course Directing Central - Improved NIKE-HERCULES (32 MBytes)- scanned by NPS, collection GOGA 35286 TM9-1430-253-14P_2_2 Nike Plot Pages 125 to 152 TM9-1430-253-34 TTR, TRR, MTR, Radar Test Set - DS & GS Main. Man. - Google scan, via Jack Anderson TM 9-1430-254-34 DS AND GS MAINTENANCE MANUAL: ACQUISITION ANTENNA-RECEIVER-TRANSMITTER GROUP (Hercules)- scanned by NPS, collection GOGA 35286 TM 9-1430-255-12-1 OPERATOR AND ORGANIZATIONAL MAINTENANCE MANUAL: CHECK PROCEDURES: (LOPAR) (IMPROVED Hercules)- scanned by NPS, collection GOGA 35286 TM-9-1430-255-12-2 Unit Schematic Diagrams. Low Power Acquisition Radar System (LOPAR)- scanned by NPS, collection GOGA 35286 TM-9-1430-257-20 Hercules Acquisition Radar @ SF-88 TM 9-1430-1256-12/1(FMS) Check Procedures, Target Tracking, Target Ranging, Missile Tracking Radar Systems and Radar Test Set Group - Allied Configuration, September 1983, 28 MBytes - from Rolf Goerigk ???? Nike Hercules Overall System Description TM 9-1440-10-1 Guided Missile Launching Set (Hercules) (incomplete) Introduction, Chapter 2, Appendicies TM9-1440-250-10-2 List of Nike Technical Manuals - from Charles Carterside truss, loading rack support, launcher transport modification kit, and launcher basic accessory kit TM 9-1440-250-12/2 Aug 66 - Mobile Launching Set -
Extracts for an Army Correspondence Course Program of the US Army Air Defense School - for use with ADA Subcourse 8000 Nike Hercules Missile Crewman,, Part 1 (16B20) and ADA Subcourse 802 - Part 11 (16B40) - from Dennis Claudio, added August 27, 2021, 8.8 MBytes
TM9-1440-250-20-1 Hercules Guided Missile Launching Set Launcher repair kit.pdf - 9 pages from Michael Keller TM9-1440-250-29P-6-2 Illustrated Supplement Rail, Launching-Handling Guided Missile, M3A1 1450-00-474-0717 TM_9-1440-252-34 Hercules Monorail Laucher, Launching-Handling Rail, TM_9-1970-2_Feb_58, part 1, part 2, Ammunition Antiaircraft Guided Missile M1 (Nike-Ajax), Identification, Description, Packing, Care, Handling, Preservation, and Destruction ( each about 4 megabytes ) from Scott Murdock via Ron Plante TM9-1970-2-35P Field and Depot Maintenance Ammunition, Guided Missile, M1 (Nike-Ajax), Repair Parts and Special Tools List
- 2 MBytes, from Michael Keller via James Fee Langendoen
TM9-5000-3 - NIKE I Computer TM9-5000-9 - Acquisition Radar Circuitry - 13.5 MByte, TM9-5000-13 - Nike I Computer - SAM Problem Analysis, DC Amplifiers, Automatic Zero Setting, Servo Loop Elements, and Power Distribution - 6.3 MBytes TM9-5000-14 - Computer Prelaunch Section and Initial Turn Section Circuitry 2.7 MB TM9-5000-15 - Computer Steering Section Circuitry - 6.8 Megabytes TM9-5000-18 NIKE 1 Systems, TTR Transmitter and Receiver Circuitry - 8 MBytes TM9-5000-19 - Target Tracking Radar Range and Presentation Circuitry 3.7 MB TM9-5000-20 - TTR Antenna Positioning Circuitry - 10 MB TM9-5000-21 - Missile-Tracking Radar Circuitry - 10 MB TM9-5000-28 NIKE 1 Systems, Nike I Missile Guidance Unit
TM9-5000-29 - Missile Electrical Checkout Equipment - 9.3 MByte TM 9-6092-1-1 - Antiaircraft Fire Control System M33C and M33D Operation, June 1956 TOE 44-535T, 1959-TO&E, 753 KBytes, pdf, from Charles Carter
Places to visit, physical and on-line
- Red Canyon Archeology, (20 MB), via Mark Sale, permission granted
- J. P. Moore's RED CANYON RANGE CAMP web site
- YouTube Nike videos
- Nike Movies on Internet Archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=nike and
http://www.archive.org/details/nikeherc01 - To open, click on "Unknown" in the "Stream (help)" box. Service can be a little slow. Spotted by Mike Stucka
- Manufacturing Nike equipment
- How to Visit SF-88, the Nike Site being restored
- Photo tour of SF-88, the Nike Site being restored
- Locations of Former Nike Sites
- Maps showing Nike sites
- Nike Museums & Displays
- Nike, Military related and other favorite WWW sites
- - I understand the Army is about to obliterate listed Site Summit March 2004 Help Save Summit, -spotted by Thomas Page
People and Trip Reports
- List of Nike People, Please add your self to the list
- History of Nike SF-88 Restoration - just starting -
- Current volunteers at SF-88
- On-going Maintenance at SF-88
- SF-88 ?Benign? Neglect
- "Nike and Me" by Elliot Deutsch - added Dec 2016
- 2004 Red Canyon Reunion organized by Ron Pickinpaugh
- Ed's Crete Trip Report (NAMFI Nike Firings), side trip to Bletchley Park
- Trip Reports
- Ft. Bliss Foreign Student Handout Handout .pdf 8 Megabytes from A.J.M. (Jos) Weijenberg
- 1999 White Sands Missile Range Trip Report and Red Canyon Reunion
- People (even soldiers) like pay.
- 2012 Florida Nike 2/52 Reunion ( lots of big pictures )
- Ken Bahr Docs mostly Surface to Surface development testing
and The 1974 digital conversion of Nike Hercules.
- Nike People Stories
- Nike Technical Stories
- An illustrated article by a Nike officer at BA-18, gives a flavor of the army, including scrounging for trading material ;-)) From the Coast Defense Study Group (CDSG) Journal, thanks to editor Mark Berhow. 5 MB .pdf, Dec 2013
- Nike in Movies - Mark Ferguson wrote "LA site in Malibu, was used in the movie, "Escape from the Planet of the Apes". You can see a Deuce and a half rolling out of the admin main gate and the mess hall was used for the "Hospital" in the movie.
Also, there is an episode of Mannix, where they run around a HiPar dome, that was in the IFC area."
- "A "Cold War" decade as a Missileman in Air Defense" - by Eric P. Muth - updated Nov. 2006
- Once busy "Red Canyon Range Camp now dozes" - by Jim Eckles
- Ken's & Friend's RCAT Korner (stories)
- Images of Soviet bombers and airfields
- Frequently Asked Questions ("FAQ")Radar Bomb Scoring - the Air Force using Nike equipment
- Unit Histories
- Eric Muth et.al. vs. CIA, DoD, and U.S. Army 134 K Byte .pdf
, Local Copy - Aug 2015
- Invasion Of Japan - "I was scheduled to die"
- Burial at sea via Thomas Pepper
- North Platte, Nebraska
- Soviet SA-2 missile system
- MSGT Roy Benavidez Message To America, What he did
- Vietnam memorial by state & city
- a short video WWII Recon Pilot - Spitefire via Ron Pickinpaugh added 2018
- a proposed documentary film "Missiles at the Gate" - Sept 2017
- Federal Color Standards
- Military Humor
- Nike Hercules Manufacturing
An excellent Nike System description - in French by "Gaston J. Dessornes" - 10 MB .pdf, July 2014 A Nike Ajax Missile restoration project - Turning junk into beauty
- then came Oct 2012, Hurricane Sandy - devastation :-((
- A Nike Simulation "Game" - Sept. 2018
- Hpasp provides Soviet equipment simulation from this web site.
- I (Ed Thelen) have not run the above program and can guarantee nothing.
Even better than The Statue of Liberty :-)) The Famous Patton Speech What has America become? 2nd Verse of the Star Spangled Banner added June 7, 2010 Ratings of Veterans Charities - from Jim Biles Bull Crap Journalism Help with Cold War Metal - letter from Jim Rhodes Cold War Veterans Association Nike Folk Art Photo Exchange Start your own Nike Web Site
So you want to do Nike Research?
Nike Recruiting Brochure
Sample Technical Diagrams (Schematics)
Search for people
- Yarbourgh's "How To" book
Are there Nike Models, Kits, Dimensions?
Nike Aircraft Kill vs. Patriot Scud Kill
Remedial Efforts Thanking Veterans - newest near topSpotted by Jay Youngbluth
- Star Spangled Banner As You've Never Heard It via EPM
- Little Known VA Benefit (updated Jan 2018) - from James Biles - jtbiles @ earthlink . net
- Robin Williams as the American Flag
the "NFL" :-(( via Thomas Pepper, Oct 1, 2017
I'm now watching what we Americans call "Soccer" :-))
- Burial At Sea via Thomas Pepper
- An Airline Captain's Report via Thomas Pepper
- Taps with Andre Rieu's orchestra. Full length. Beautiful trumpet solo.
Remember that silly tale spread by the Obama administration about the cause of the Benghazi Massacre
"Someone in Los Angeles offended Muslims."
reminded me of this "joke",
and a not so funny poem.
Little Known VA Benefit - from James Biles - jtbiles @ earthlink . net Angel Flight It is the Veteran - J.P. Moore votes this best Veteran vs ("liberal") Politican Jane Fonda Memorial Bill Mauldin, for Willie&Joe, 1921-2003, 1.1 million Veterans do not get the multi-million dollar bonuses handed out to bailed out Wall Street gougers TAPS Ann Margret :-)) Memorial for Darrell "Shifty" Powers of "Band of Brothers" A Simple Thank You The Rock The Final Inspection It Won't Be Long And They Will Be Gone - forwarded by Byron Standing Guard at the 38th Parallel
From Richard Brody, author of "Standing Guard at the 38th Parallel" - What really pisses me off- glad you asked- is that the dogs killed in Vietnam have a website dedicated to them, listing each of the dog's names. None of the US soldiers lost (killed) in Korea after the war, (which never really ended), are listed anywhere as casualties. Only their moms, wives and families know, and some of us who were there and lost buddies :>(( Veteran's Day Poem Christmas Poem Simple Soldier Experts or at least helpful Stories about SAGE, Sage Talk, manual Introduction to SAGE AN/FSQ-7 & AN/FSQ-8 collecting aadcp information Military Occupation Specialty Codes (MOS)
Formal identifications (as per Ron Parshall).
TARGET TRACKING OA-858/MPA-4 Missile Tracking Radar OA-859 MPA-4
New policy: I am introducing a Photo Exchange so that those who wish to share can, and those who wish, can ask. I hope this works better than my previous "no photos" policy. You are still invited to look up web sites who specialize in a particular area, and offer there.
Return to Technical
Subject: Status updat of my FOIA to Redstone Arsenal for the history of the Nike Hercules weapons system by Mary T Cagle
From: James Newman < jamesnewman1976 @ yahoo . com >
Date: Mon, July 17, 2017
I just got my FOIA to Redstone Arsenal US Army Material Command denied. I am going to appeal within the 60 day time limit. This document was denied under Executive order 13526 section 3.3 Section 4 "For State of the art technology" the document will remain classified for 50 years from its creation date until 2023. Vacuum tube technology of the early to mid-1950s is not state of the art technology. This system went defunct in 1980 when the last Nikes were decommissioned in Florida and Alaska.
A ABC-Computer Allen Telescope Array, AnalogDiscovery, Ancient Earth, (Antikythera Mechanism Lecture, Nature), Antonov AN 124, Apollo Guidance Computer, Apple Crash, Ardenwood Volunteer N Navy Seal Team 6, NCRR Train-of-Lights, NORAD, the NFL is NFG, Nuclear Fusion Is Already Facing a Fuel Crisis B Baby Birds, Babbage Difference Engine, 2nd Babbage Machine, Beale Tour "Pave Paws", Bladder, Bletchley Park - 1998, Burroughs/Electrodata docs, Buying a Car, O Obama, Mystery Man, Old FAA Radio and Beacon Navigation Aids, Old Folks Jokes, Oil - Shallow Oil Wells-Ferdig, Oil - Museum Of Offshore Operations Oscillator, Sulzer C Cats, ChatGPT, China Trips 1996 & 2009, Chronic Venous Disease - a & b, Computational Mathematics, Computer-History, Control Data Experience, Crazyfornia, Crete Nike Firing - 1998, P Pave Paws, Pi, Pi (serious), Plutonium, Primate, Edgar, Leakey pre-publication versions of Scientific Papers available
and the press, Adventures with the press, Bull Crap Journalism, Puzzlement,
D Deutsches Museum Dimensions, Troublesome Q Quantum mechanics ?? ;-), E Eclipse1999&2017, Ed's Biography, Einstein, Relativity Electrified CVCC, Electron-CryoTomography On-line classes, Energy, ERMA - 1950's B of A automation, R Radiation, Ionizing, RAMAC Project, , Robo-AO, F Ford Model-T Auto, Fortran Histories, Fujitsu SV600, Feynman "Lectures on Physics" 3 vols. S Safer Human-Computer Interfaces, SALT telescope, Scientific Data Management System, Amateur Seismology, Siesta Lovers, Software Defigned Radio, Point Reyes, Solyndra-bankrupt, StarLink, techie stuff G G.E. Computer Dept, Good Ole Daize, Google Books - local copy, Gout diet recommendations, Gravitational Waves, Green Bank Radio Telescope, Gyroscope, T Thelen 1940s, Teletype Mod 28 Maintenance, TESS follow-on to Kepler Mission, Taiwan vs Wuhan virus, Tulare 2012 Antique Farm Equipment, 3 Doors Problem H Designing IT to make Health Care Safer at Gresham College UK, Hubble seminar, a techie delight, Humor U I IBM 1401Project, IBM Experience V x Very Large Array, New Mexico J Japan Trip - 2005, Jeff Foxworthy comments on the Taliban, W Washington Hospital "Visit" :-(, Willits ROOTS Steam Engines, K Kepler, Don Knuth Pays Off (again??), X Xerox Alto Restoration , L L&N 4725, Left Foot Draggin, LIGO, London, Babbage Engine & Total Eclipse, Lord of Arabia book, Computer History Museum Docent Training, Lafarr Stuart on Lehmer , Landis&Gyr Y M Macular Pucker, Magnetometer, Maps, MBARI, Measurex, Mendocino Motor, MRI, Murphy's Law, Musk/Twitter Z ZEUS,
Some of my favorite videos
1 from Neil Shubin & PBS, "Your Inner Fish, Reptile, Monkey
- Prof Richard Muller: Former Climate Change Skeptic
(For those who were appalled by the East Anglia College methods)
- Richard Muller: Physics for Future Presidents
- Lucky Luckadoo B-17, 100 years old
- Secret History of Silicon Valley, Steve Blank
- Synthetic Aperture Radar, Scott Manley
- Abandoned Nuclear Antiballistic Missile Base A 20-year History of Antiballistic Missile Systems
- The Insane Engineering of the X-15,
- "Colors" and "Rainbows, for physics teachers" - (my titles ;--) - by Walter Lewin, MIT
- Hubble seminar, a techie delight
- parallel projections and the Radon transform
- The Applications of Matrices | What I wish my teachers told me way earlier, & 3Blue1Brown
- The Astonishing Simplicity of Everything
- Mathematics Gives You Wings
- Distant Early Warning Radar: "The DEW Line Story" 1958 AT&T - Western Electric
- Transistor Full Documentary
- Nuclear 101: How Nuclear Bombs Work, Part 1, Part 2 Nuclear Accidents: Lessons Learned (Dr. Brian Sheron)