Also on this site are:
plus Radiation, Ionizing, Ford Model-T Auto, NORAD, ZEUS, Antonov AN 124, Good Ole Daize, Teletype Mod 28 Maintenance, Old FAA Radio and Beacon Navigation Aids, Jeff Foxworthy comments on the Taliban, Don Knuth Pays Off (again??), Navy Seal Team 6, Solyndra-bankrupt, Tulare 2012 Antique Farm Equipment, Crazyfornia, Gyro Compass, Willits ROOTS Steam Engines, Amateur Seismology, Safer Human-Computer Interfaces
Ed Thelen's Nike Missile Web Site
Visiting again? - updates
This web site is blocked in China - probably because I prefer a smaller government.
I am probably on the IRS "Enemies" list - because I prefer a smaller government.
This site presents a great deal of Nike Hercules historical, technical and operational information and provides extensive links to Nike related books, documents, museums and to other Nike related web sites. This site also provides a photographic tour of Nike site SF-88 (being restored), location and status of Nike sites, and a List of Nike People, some on-line documents, a bulletin board, a search, a Photo Exchange, an FAQ, and a variety of other features. See Table of Contents.
Dec 17, 2012, Senator Daniel Inouye of the "Go For Broke" 442nd Infantry Regiment has said "Aloha" for the last time. I must be getting old - this makes me dreadfully sad. During WWII my sister corresponded with a young girl, one of the 110,000 people, mostly American citizens, interned in crappy camps and losing homes, businesses and educations because of east coast ignorance and fears. Hard to forgive F.D. Roosevelt, author of Executive Order 9006, for those injustices !!
This web site salutes those people have risked or are risking life and limb supporting our war against terrorism.
Occupy What ? ;-) ( 400 KBytes )
How did YOU sleep last night? "Bravery is not the absence of fear, it's doing the right thing in spite of fear." Mobilized
"Remember Me" by Lizzie Palmer, on YouTube
Some thoughts on Politics. Adventures With the Press
"Freedom is not free . . . but the U.S. Military will pay most of your share."
Hillery Clinton's remark about the refusal of the U.S. government to send help to the U.S. State Department Consolate at Benghazi, before and during -
The Battling Boys of Benghazi
Thinking of Benghazi, and the NSA's snooping of reporter's phone records, and the IRS harrassment of "enemies" -
Maybe time to re-read "1984" by George Orwell - we are getting there - faster and faster
Obama's Military Coup Purges 197 Officers In Five Years - including those wishing to rescue the U.S. people at the Consolate.
A friend reports that this web site is still unavailable in China.
It seems to me that Obama is trying to emulate the current Chinese model,
- wealthy backers, media control, and dependent masses.
The government that is backlogged 630,000 veteran's disability claims wants to take over my health care.
March 21, 2013 - VA officials still insist the 630000 disability claims waiting to be processed will be eliminated by 2015. But so far, numbers are headed in the ...
A new word ;-) Ineptocracy
We enjoyed Foxworthy's "You might be a Red-Neck if" :-)) and now we have ... Idiots :-((
"Figures don't lie, but liars can figure"
* The Department of Defense (DOD) has (November 2011) classified the 2009 Fort Hood massacre that claimed 13 Americans and wounded 29 more as "workplace violence." -
Using the same logic, the people who died in the Twin Towers on 9/11 were at work,
- and therefore casualties of "workplace violence."
As were the emergency folks who were killed responding (going to work) trying to save lives. ...
And our soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan are "at their workplace" - ...
What kind of people are we paying to work for us in Washington ????
If a Muslim suicide bombs the Pentagon, the terrorist is at work, as are the people (s)he kills. - OK??
- Just your everyday "workplace violence." - Blame "climate change" -
Since Eric Holder is apparently not an idiot, he is a liar when he says voter fraud is not a problem.
Voter fraud was a joke in Chicago when I was there in 1955-1956. And during the Kennedy-Nixon presidental election in 1960, one Chicago precinct with fewer than 140 registered voters, turned in more than 200 ( mostly Kennedy ) votes. A Chicago judge said there was no evidence of wrong doing - dropping the case. And there is no evidence that anything has improved.
"Fast and Furious" (local copy) investigation sleeps. Maybe Eric Holder's investigation of his top aid will wait till after the 2016 elections. He can't even blame George Bush for this one - although Eric brings up George's name in congressional hearing (Feb 2, 20012, 13 months later). Ya know, its just a shame that people like this are in positions of public "trust".
In contrast to the Arrogant Eric, may I offer Bill Mauldin, for Willie&Joe
Politics is funny, if it doesn't apply to you - a video - October 4, 2012
Here is The Declaratation of Independence
Then came the "Articles of Confederation" which didn't work out -
Has what little you learned of the U.S. Constitution gotten foggy?
Here is the straight scoop. Constitution, Amendments 1-10 "Bill of Rights", Amendments 11-27
Which has worked, preventing a U.S. Stalin, Hitler, Mao, Castro, Hugo Chavez - so far -
Some things never go away - death, taxes, and raising the debt "limit".
This is a 1967 (44 year old) article about the urgent need to raise the "debt limit". From this paper - front page, all 12 MB
- General Electric is moving its X-Ray Division from Waukesha, Wis., to Beijing., WSJ, snopes
- "Bob Hope :-)))))
- With a little luck we might get 9-9-9 taxing. Herman Cain :-))
Midwestern tycoon Warren Buffett, pictured here enjoying a parfait, [note the plastic spoon] presented his quick and easy solution to America's debt problem today on CNBC: "I could end the deficit in five minutes. You just pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than three percent of GDP all sitting members of congress are ineligible for reelection."
Getting bored with that talking face on network news mouthing Afghan "news" abstracted by some anonymous script writer?
Here is an anonymous e-mail which sounds more knowledgeable than that talking face ;-))
Health "care"/payment bill time line, Health Care ??, Health Care Sales Tax , Charlie Reese's last column
U.S. closes a National Wildlife Refuge to Americans due to loss of control to Mexican smugglers of people and drugs. Obama suspends making the border fence. (Too dangerous for the construction workers??)
Poor Arizona - reduced to a Territory and portal for illegal Mexican border hoppers. The feds are sending "Election Observers" to Arizona - maybe to be like the Chicago machine.
My congressional district in Crazyfornia* sends this jackass to Washington term after term after ...
- Hey, Look, sometimes something good happens in elections. :-))
" China produced ... 290 million tonnes, 46% of world production ... in the first five months of 2011.
... Steel production in the USA was ... 35.6 million tonnes. ..." - about 1/8th as much.
Making steel takes lots of coal. "Cap and Trade" will make our steel cost even more. Great for nations exporting to us. Not so great for us.
No problem !! I buy Japanese cars. Japan buys steel from China. No difference, No Sweat !!
My goodness, all in one day - December 17, 2010
- Birther goes to military prison
- Krazyfornia's Cap-n-Trade
"Leadership" styles of various national leaders
Nancy Pelosi saying ?We have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it.? - (10 seconds)
Paul Ryan Speaks Out Against Senators Voting without Reading the Bill 6/29/2012, need at least 2 days to study 600 page bill.
. Hitler Stalin Mao Obama Title Fuehrer Party Secretary Comrade Teleprompter Slave Political Party National Socialist Communist Communist Democratic/SEIU Body to control Reichstag Central Committee *&(^ :-| Senate & House of "Representatives" Minutes per page member has to study legislation ? few ? few ? few less than 2 minutes (assuming no sleep)
72 hours x 60 min/hr = 4300
pages = 2300
- "Stimulus" Feb 17, 2009
- "Health" Mar 21, 2010
What happens if you vote the "wrong way" Disappear Disappear Disappear Disappear
No campaign money from party
When to vote Daylight Daylight Daylight Weekends, Midnight
- Just like the Teamsters Local when I was a member!
The most damning question about "Obama Care"
- More Americans work for the government than in manufacturing, farming, fishing, forestry, mining and utilities combined.Wall Street Journal
- We have out-sourced many manufacturing jobs.
- My car was made in Japan. My GPS, camera, TV, laptop, and all other electric toys in China
- Most of the new books I buy are printed made China ...
- The Chinese are exporting Russian designed jet fighters ...
- Sounds like at least 10% of U.S. workers will be on permanent unemployment.
- Now we are out-sourcing management of U.S. uranium mines, local copy
"It will be processed in the U.S." - yeah - sure ;-))
- Our president says he was raised Muslum in Jakarta, Indonesia
- We should out-source the California and U.S. legislatures, like can they get any worse?
- Since we treat our military so shabily, we will soon have to out source that,
- as the Romans did before their fall -
- The Chinese may be all to happy to do that, for free ;-))
Since Obama chooses which U.S. laws he will enforce, may I choose which U.S. laws I will obey?
WebSite Allows Residents of Canada To Bid on Health Care Services Abroad, Here
proposed Congressional Reform Act of 2010 ;-))
A Story from Jake - "Change"
There's an old sea story about a ship's Captain who inspected his sailors, and afterward told the first mate that his men smelled bad. The Captain suggested perhaps it would help if the sailors would change underwear occasionally. The first mate responded, "Aye, aye sir, I'll see to it immediately!"
The first mate went straight to the sailors berth deck and announced, "The Captain thinks you guys smell bad and wants you to change your underwear." He continued, "Pittman, you change with Jones, McCarthy, you change with Witkowski, and Brown, you change with Schultz.
THE MORAL OF THE STORY:
Someone may come along and promise "Change", but don't count on things smelling any better.
Hey - I went to a Tea Party in San Jose, Crazyfornia April 15, 2010
- - They didn't serve any tea :-((
Good News: - for us old duffers
- - More women than men - Maybe there is hope ;-))
Table of Contents
Introduction Colorful Pictures, Movies, Brochures Nike History Nike Site Technical information Nike Operational information Nike Locations and Nike People Books & Manuals, On-Line documents Places to visit, physical and on-line,
People and Trip Reports,
Nike related web sites FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions Stories, Questions Other & Thanking Veterans Search Function Bulletin Board Items, Wanted or for Sale General diagram of a Nike Hercules site. To List yourself or update e-mail address
Mike Stucka, a staff writer for the Taunton Daily Gazette, was looking for images for a Nike story and e-mailed "This story is interesting, and everyone is so darned helpful."
( That story has disappeared - I should have made a "local copy" ! )
I thought for a bit and replied:
"These were good days for lots of now older folks - and we were quite proud of - the learning experience - some of us even got a little more "mature" ;-)) - doing something useful - better than flipping hamburgers or selling shoes ?
"Most look back and smile, and like to share the warm feeling :-))"
This site has become a cooperative effort as more than 350 people have contributed text, stories, ideas, information, and corrections.
The Nike surface to air missile system was named after the winged goddess of victory in Greek mythology. Two versions of this system defended the U.S. and other places from hostile aircraft.
The 1st version, the Nike Ajax, was deployed in the U.S. from 1954 to the early 1960s. It had an effective range of 25 miles.
The 2nd version, the Nike Hercules, was developed which was faster, had a range of over 75 miles, and had nuclear capability. The Hercules was deployed starting in 1958. In 1963, there were 134 Nike Hercules and 77 Nike Ajax batteries defending the U. S. - as per "Rings of Supersonic Steel".
Both versions above are made light and transportable by wheeled vehicles, transportable in cargo planes for "easy" mobility. With practice and preparation, a site could be moved in a long, hard day. As many parts as practical are made of aluminum or magnesium, the standard power frequency is 400 Hertz (cycles per second) saving iron and weight in transformers and motors as in aircraft.
The Hercules is still in use (with an improved computer and a few other enhancements) by several countries today.
This web site does not present photos, histories, nor detailed status of most NIKE sites. I link to other web sites take up that interesting challenge.
Almost all Nike Hercules related information has been declassified - the only exceptions are some IFF (Identification Friend or Foe) information, some flight characteristics, and some nuclear warhead information. This site has a little information on the Nike Ajax, and no information on Nike Zeus (external link).
I installed and maintained Nike Ajax fire control equipment (radars & computer) at Chicago site C-41 during 1955-1957. Maybe "we" deterred "them". I have served as a volunteer helping restore an old Nike site (SF-88) near San Francisco for the National Park Service.
About submitting photos to this web site.
Colorful Pictures, Movies, Brochures
Two "action" pictures and four movies
Hercules Night Launch,
(17 K bytes)
From previous army pictures at
Nike Ajax Intercept - 1 minute, Internet Archive
Nike Hercules Intercept - 1.5 min, Internet Archive
Annual Practice - 1.5 min, YouTube
Hercules Launchs - 6 min, YouTube
Nike Hercules night launch
The missile (with booster) was launched 0.4 seconds ago, is accelerating at 25 times the force of earth's gravity, has risen 60 feet, and it is now going 210 miles per hour.
Four seconds from now, the missile will be:
going 1,700 miles per hour straight up, separated from the booster, (the black flaming thing with the white fins), turning (diving) towards the intercept point with the target, starting the sustainer rocket engine to reach 2,700 miles per hour. If the target is 90 miles approaching at mach 1.5, the missile will meet the target 60 miles away in 90 seconds.
The Nike Hercules shown here defended major U.S. target areas against aircraft attack from 1958 to 1974. It had an effective range of over 75 miles and a speed of mach 3.6. South Korea has over 200 of these missiles, with associated radars and guidance systems, currently in service.
Its predecessor, the smaller Nike Ajax, was in service from 1954 through about 1965. It had a range of 25 miles and a speed of mach 2.5.
... ... Click here for expanded graphics scanned by Pete Wurzbach C/4/562 Alvarado, Texas
A short easy introduction to the Nike Anti-Aircraft system - from Michael Keller - posted May 3, 2013
Click on image to download the .pdf
Intercept - A little more technical ;-))
This is a plot of a Nike intercepting a target flying at 52,000 feet.
The vertical scale is altitude in feet. (max 100,000 feet)
The left trace is the Nike missile, the right is the target.
The horizonal scale is computed time to intercept, in seconds.
The middle is time zero, intercept.
from TM9-1400-250-10/2 page 36, Manual
Cold War in South Florida, ... Study available free online - posted Mar 4, 2010
Click on image to download the .pdf
Good news. The Cold War Study of Nike Hercules in South Florida ($19.95 plus shipping) has been re-released in pdf format as a public domain document.
The tours of HM-69 has been overwhelming at Everglades National Park for the second year. Tours will be conducted through the end of March.
Charles D. Carter
Michael Keller wrote (Feb 2009) & (Dec 2010) & (Aug 2011) & (Dec 2012)
Cover of 2 MByte brochure Just found this nice piece on Ebay. Printing Date is 10-15-56. "The purpose of this booklet is to inform high-school graduates-and their parents-of the matchless opportunities that lie within the Army Antiaircraft Command." Well, most of the once-adressed kids will be retired by now, but maybe they remember this booklet. Its a 3 page folder, size 500mm x 100mm. (Yes I prefer metric) :) But look, on the frontcover: seems that track LIMA296 has slipped through!! :)) It has a beautiful painting inside, and a funny 70's scene on the backside. It contains the original Team Nike decal, and a small brochure. Both items came to me together with the MISSILE MASTER booklet. [600 KB]
The diameter of the decal is 4,06 inch. (103 mm)
with kind regards from germany,
A recruiting brochure featuring the Nike Hercules, "Now making its appearance on-site."
- Acoustic Ears
- Pre-Nike (Anti-Aircraft Guns)
- Nike Historical Information
- First Nike Missile Site
- Nike Technical Background, Then & Now
- Nike A Remarkable YouTube Presentation, - 10 minutes - recommended by Jon Little
Nike in Overall Air Defense
TU-4 "Bull" Bomber
photo credit Wikipedia
TU-95 "Bear" Bomber
TU-22M "Backfire" Bomber
photo credit Wikipedia
- 416L is the name of the North American air defense system. ( 28 page, 3.3 MByte .pdf document )
- DEW Line Distant Early Warning Line - more
- Pine Tree Line (with techie error about how radar cooks)
- Some info on Texas Towers 1, 2, 3, , Picket Ships 1, 2, 3, AirForce, ...
- SAGE (Semi-Automatic Ground Environment)
Nike Site Technical information
- Nike Site Overview
- Nike Integrated Fire Control (IFC) Area Overview
- Acquisition Radars
- Battery Control
- Tracking Radars
- Lesson 8. Target Simulation - 1.2 megabytes
- - IFF Symbols and FUIF sysbols
- IFC Updates
- Nike Radars and Computer Manual, MMS subcourse number 150
- Nike Training Films
- Nike Launcher Area Overview
Command and Control between Nike Batteries
Nike Operational information
- Life on a Nike Site
- Nike Battery Alert
- Target Practice
- Nike Site Support
- Command and Control of Nike Batteries
- Documents from a Battery Commander - from Earl Close
- Air Force provides long range radar data to Army Nike centers - (off site) 1960, after I left
- The National Guard *is* Ready
- US Army units on NATO Countries Batteries -by Richard Scheffler
- Life before Transistors
- Nike "Kill Ratio"? or "How good was Nike"??
Support for Nike Field Batteries (and museums)
On-Line documents ( Atempting to sort - somehow ) - Longer range radars another site
- Documents w/out numbers
- Documents w numbers
- Un-Numbered Documents - recently added at top (here)
- Winged Victory - The History of the Nike Missile Training Program At Fort Bliss 48 pages, 7 megabytes
- A Western Electric Nike-Hercules Technical Data - about half the pages, 10 MBytes - from Greg Brown
- 412L Aircraft Warning & Control System 1959-1980 7 megabytes, from Jim Tarbet
- Introduction to Radar Systems by Sloknik, An external SERIOUS book
- Antiaircraft Journal 1948-1954 - spotted by Mark Morgan via Ron Pickinpaugh added July 2010
- Army Preventive Maintenance Magazine - Notes, Nike - from Michael Keller
- U.S. Army Air Defense Digest 1965
- U.S. Army Nike Brochure (Improved Hercules, recruting)
- Emerging Shield .PDF from the Air Force History Office. - spotted by Peter Goetz P.Geol.
- Redstone Arsenal, 11 minute publicity video - spotted by Olav ten Broek
- Production of Hercules Missiles by Douglas Aircraft - thanks to Tony Moore
- "Ring of Fire" Could Nike missiles have protected U.S. cities from a Soviet attack?
- on www.radones.org
- "What We Have, We Shall Defend: An Interim History and Preservation Plan for Nike Site SF-88L, Fort Barry, California" by J.A. Martini and S.A. Haller, National Park Service GGNRA, San Francisco, CA, Feb 1998 External link to NPS, local copy - (870 kBytes)
- " An Antiaircraft Artilleryman 1939-1970, - my life in the antiaircraft for 30 years from private in 205th CA(AA) Seattle National Guard to retired Army colonel." by Wilfred O. Boettiger (now for sale at Xlibris)
- A SAGE Movie - thanks to Ben Abzug
- [ICBM] INTERCEPT TEST HITS BULL'S-EYE We couldn't do this with Nike
- Link to offsite Vigilant and Invincible (local back-up)
- Field Trip to North Bay - (to see a SAGE installation) by Gordon Bell (12 megabyte .pdf)
- Missile Master - brochure - Thanks to Robert C Barr
- Excess Report, NIKE Hercules Site D-FW-20, Terrel, Texas,
- - .pdf, 1.12 Megabytes, includes site drawings, thanks to Mark Berhow,
- Last Line of Defense from the National Park Service
- "US Army Air Defense Digest, 1966" a Management Overview of US Air Defenses
- "US Army Air Defense Digest, 1972" a Management Overview of US Air Defenses
- AJAX Historical Monograph also now in .pdf form Redstone
HERCULES Historical Monograph
Introduction to SAGE, 14 page visitor's document
Site Summit - Nike Hercules Missile Installation June 1996
The Nike Preservation Group Newsletters
From SF-88, Nike News The Launching Pad 5th Missile Battalion Veterans
Offsite links to T1 .pdf manual & NAMFI Hercules Launch QuickTime movie (big files!) W-25: The Davidsonville Site and Maryland Air Defense, 1950-1974 by Merle T. Cole To Defend and Deter: The Legacy of the United States Cold War Missile Program Warning - 70 megabytes of .pdf - - spotted by Dave Fields History of the OOZLEFINCH by Errol Porter (Published with permission.)
Documents with Numbers - those marked "(if requested)" have not been scanned yet. Let me know if you want to see one.- a .pdf file of the manual - spotted by Tom Page FM 44-8 Army Air Defense Command Posts August 1962, with change 1 - 1964, 2 MByte .pdf, scanned by Cory Newman FM 44-10 U.S. Army Air Defense Fire Distribution System AN/FSG-1 (Missile Master) February 1963, 6 MByte .pdf, scanned by Cory Newman, images trimmed by Ed Thelen FM44-80 - Procedures and Drills of the Nike I System - Table of Contents, Manual - 24 MByte .pdf MMS Subcourse Number 150 - Nike Radars and Computer Manual, MMS Subcourse Number 150, revised November 1973 MMS Subcourse Number 151 - Nike Missile and Test Equipment Manual, MMS Subcourse Number 151, revised November 1973 MMS Subcourse Number 900 - Lesson 2. Major Units of the Nike Hercules Missile - from Manual, MMS Subcourse Number 900, "Nike Missile Maintenance" Revised March 1973 - 2.1 megabytes MWO 9-1400-250-30-22 Modification Work Order, to Launcher area PIO4324, "On Site On Guard", 1963 2 MBytes ST-44-188 - AN/TPS-1G, a close relative of the AN/FPS-75 ABAR acquisition radar used in some Nike sites
- Introduction to Radar ST-44-188-1 - from Chuck Zellers
- Introduction and Start-Stop to the AN/TPS-1G ST-44-188-2G - from Chuck Zellers - 3.8 megabytes
- Modulator and transmitter of the AN/TPS-1G ST-44-188-3G - from Chuck Zellers - 2.5 megabytes
- AN/TPS-1G Receiver System ST-44-188-4G - from Chuck Zellers - 2.08 megabytes
- AN/TPS-1G Moving Target Indicator System ST-44-188-5G
- (Chapters 1 - 4) - 2.1 megabytes (Chapters 4+ - ) - 2.7 megabytes - from Chuck Zellers
- AN/TPS-1G Indicator System ST-44-188-6G - 3.8 megabytes - from Chuck Zellers
T1 Field Manual 7.6 megabytes - thanks to Rolf D Goerigk TM 9-1400-250-10/2 - A great introduction to the Nike Hercules system, in technical manual format - 135 pages, and also in smaller sections. (There is also a Tactical Control section) TM-9-1410-250-12/1 - OPERATOR AND ORG MAINTENANCE MANUAL: MIM-14A AND MIM-14B (NIKE-HERCULES AND IMPROVED NIKE-HERCULES) November 1967 TM 9-1410-1250-12/1(FMS) Intercept-Areal Guided Missile MIM-14A, B, C - July 1981, 88 MBytes - from Rolf Goerigk TM-9-1410-250-24P-1-2 Organizational, Direct Support and General Support Maintenance Repair Parts and Special Tools list Including Depot Maintenance Repairs parts and special Tools - Illustration Supplement for ... MIM-14B and MIM-14C - - 10 MB .pdf TM9-1430-250-12P/10/2 Illustration Supplement for ... (Improved Nike-Herc)
- big trouble scanning - I quit - here is two page sample
TM-9-1430-250-24P-9-1 special tools ... for Director Station @ SF-88 TM-9-1430-252-12/2 Unit Schematic Diagrams Target Tracking and Missile Tracking Radar Systems and Radar Test Set TS-847/MSW-1 - October 1966 @ SF-88 TM 9-1430-1256-12/1(FMS) Check Procedures, Target Tracking, Target Ranging, Missile Tracking Radar Systems and Radar Test Set Group - Allied Configuration, September 1983, 28 MBytes - from Rolf Goerigk TM-9-1430-250-15P/9/1 Radar Course Directing Central Director Station - 1969 @ SF-88 TM-9-1430-257-20 ??? @ SF-88 TM9-1440-250-10-1 Nike Hercules Overall System Description TM 9-1440-250-20-1 GUIDED MISSILE LAUNCHING SET, Organizational Maintenance, Nike-Hercules TM_9-1970-2_Feb_58, part 1, part 2, Ammunition Antiaircraft Guided Missile M1 (Nike-Ajax), Identification, Description, Packing, Care, Handling, Preservation, and Destruction ( each about 4 megabytes ) from Scott Murdock via Ron Plante TM9-1970-2-35P Field and Depot Maintenance Ammunition, Guided Missile, M1 (Nike-Ajax), Repair Parts and Special Tools List
- 2 MBytes, from Michael Keller via James Fee Langendoen
TM9-5000-3 - NIKE I Computer NIKE I Systems, - 4.5 MB TM9-5000-9 - Acquisition Radar Circuitry - 13.5 MByte, TM9-5000-13 - Nike I Computer - SAM Problem Analysis, DC Amplifiers, Automatic Zero Setting, Servo Loop Elements, and Power Distribution - 6.3 MBytes TM9-5000-14 - Computer Prelaunch Section and Initial Turn Section Circuitry 2.7 MB TM9-5000-15 - Computer Steering Section Circuitry - 6.8 Megabytes TM9-5000-18 NIKE 1 Systems, TTR Transmitter and Receiver Circuitry - 8 MBytes TM9-5000-19 - Target Tracking Radar Range and Presentation Circuitry 3.7 MB TM9-5000-20 - TTR Antenna Positioning Circuitry - 10 MB TM9-5000-21 - Missile-Tracking Radar Circuitry - 10 MB TM9-5000-28 NIKE 1 Systems, Nike I Missile Guidance Unit
TM9-5000-29 - Missile Electrical Checkout Equipment - 9.3 MByte TOE 44-535T, 1959-TO&E, 753 KBytes, pdf, from Charles Carter
Places to visit, physical and on-line
- Google Nike videos YouTube Nike videos
- Nike Movies on Internet Archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=nike and
http://www.archive.org/details/nikeherc01 - To open, click on "Unknown" in the "Stream (help)" box. Service can be a little slow. Spotted by Mike Stucka
- Manufacturing Nike equipment
- How to Visit SF-88, the Nike Site being restored
- Photo tour of SF-88, the Nike Site being restored
- Locations of Former Nike Sites
- Maps showing Nike sites
- Nike Museums & Displays
- Nike, Military related and other favorite WWW sites
- Three Nike sites in National Register of Historic Places, Cold War Resources, 1945-1989 - I understand the Army is about to obliterate listed Site Summit March 2004 Help Save Summit, -spotted by Thomas Page
People and Trip Reports
- List of Nike People, Please add your self to the list
- Current volunteers at SF-88
- 2004 Red Canyon Reunion organized by Ron Pickinpaugh
- Ed's Crete Trip Report (NAMFI Nike Firings), side trip to Bletchley Park
- Trip Reports
- Ft. Bliss Foreign Student Handout Handout .pdf 8 Megabytes from A.J.M. (Jos) Weijenberg
- 1999 White Sands Missile Range Trip Report and Red Canyon Reunion
- People (even soldiers) like pay.
- 2012 Florida Nike 2/52 Reunion ( lots of big pictures )
- Nike People Stories
- Nike Technical Stories
- "A "Cold War" decade as a Missileman in Air Defense" - by Eric P. Muth - updated Nov. 2006
- Once busy "Red Canyon Range Camp now dozes" - by Jim Eckles
- Ken's & Friend's RCAT Korner (stories)
- Images of Soviet bombers and airfields
- Frequently Asked Questions ("FAQ")
- Unit Histories
- Eric Muth et.al. vs. CIA, DoD, and U.S. Army 134 K Byte .pdf
- A Nike Ajax Missile restoration project - Turning junk into beauty
- then came Oct 2012, Hurricane Sandy - devastation :-((
- - A Nike Simulation "Game"
- Hpasp provides Soviet equipment simulation from this web site.
- I (Ed Thelen) have not run the above program and can guarantee nothing.
- Even better than The Statue of Liberty :-))
- Got tired blood? World Class Drum & Bugle from Eric Muth
- "THIS I BELIEVE" by Robert A. Heinlein
- The Famous Patton Speech
- What has America become?
- 2nd Verse of the Star Spangled Banner added June 7, 2010
- Ratings of Veterans Charities - from Jim Biles
- Physics 10 Physics for Future Presidents non-techie physics lectures from Berkeley - need fast internet connection. You might be especially interested in the lectures on radioactivity and nukes.
- Reactions to a magazine article - from e-mail
- Bull Crap Journalism
- Help with Cold War Metal - letter from Jim Rhodes Cold War Veterans Association
- Nike Folk Art
- Photo Exchange
- Start your own Nike Web Site
- So you want to do Nike Research?
- Nike Recruiting Brochure
- Sample Technical Diagrams (Schematics)
- Nike Glossary
- Search for people
- Yarbourgh's "How To" book
- Nike Components in use today
- Are there Nike Models, Kits, Dimensions?
- Nike Aircraft Kill vs. Patriot Scud Kill
- Remedial Efforts
- Korea Songbook - Hum along ;-)
- Thanking Veterans - newest near top
- Remember that silly tale spread by the administration about the cause of the Benghazi Massacre
"Someone in Los Angeles offended Muslims."
reminded me of this "joke".
- Little Known VA Benefit - from James Biles - jtbiles @ earthlink . net
- Angel Flight
- It is the Veteran - J.P. Moore votes this best
- Veteran vs ("liberal") Politican
- Jane Fonda Memorial
- History Not Taught in School!
- Bill Mauldin, for Willie&Joe, 1921-2003, 1.1 million Veterans do not get the multi-million dollar bonuses handed out to bailed out Wall Street gougers
- Ann Margaret :-))
- Memorial for Darrell "Shifty" Powers of "Band of Brothers"
- A Simple Thank You
- The Rock
- The Final Inspection
- It Won't Be Long And They Will Be Gone - forwarded by Byron
- Standing Guard at the 38th Parallel
From Richard Brody, author of "Standing Guard at the 38th Parallel" - What really pisses me off- glad you asked- is that the dogs killed in Vietnam have a website dedicated to them, listing each of the dog's names. None of the US soldiers lost (killed) in Korea after the war, (which never really ended), are listed anywhere as casualties. Only their moms, wives and families know, and some of us who were there and lost buddies :>((
- Veteran's Day Poem
- Christmas Poem
- Simple Soldier
- Naval Aviator
- Experts or at least helpful
- Stories about SAGE, Sage Talk, manual Introduction to SAGE AN/FSQ-7 & AN/FSQ-8
- An (offsite) Nike game web page - dead link
- collecting aadcp information
- Military Occupation Specialty Codes (MOS)
Bulletin Board has been moved to here.
About photo submission
(added Jan 22. 2000)
Tom Vaughn is posting photos of Nike People at Pictures of Nike people and Nike sites when there where still Nike missiles. :-))
New policy: I am introducing a Photo Exchange so that those who wish to share can, and those who wish, can ask. I hope this works better than my previous "no photos" policy. You are still invited to look up web sites who specialize in a particular area, and offer there.
General diagram of a Nike Hercules site.
Figure from FM 44-1-2 ADA Reference Handbook, 15 June 1984, as found on page 20 of "Rings of Supersonic Steel".
If you have comments or suggestions, Send e-mail to Ed Thelen (email@example.com)
Some flattering pictures of Ed, a short bio.
This page updated May 24, 2013
The rest of this web site is being enhanced frequently.
In 2005, this web site had over 50,000 "individual clients" per month. Site access statistics here
- - - - - - - - -
K, Master Lock, AC AW, L&R 4725, CVCC, AnalogDiscovery, Scientific Data Management System, Baby Birds