|FT BANKS B-21 HA
FT HEATH B-18
Former coast artillery post, Fort Banks and its satellite, Fort Heath, were reopened for the Nike era. Located in Winthrop 5 miles northeast of Boston, the sites provided command and control for the New England Nike program during the Ajax era.
Ft Banks was located 1 mile ne of the Winthrop town center, west of Revere Street between Winthrop Street and (the present) Argyle Street. Behind to post on the west side ran railroad tracks which included a Fort Banks train station. The current Kennedy Street runs into the former main area of Ft. Banks. Ft Heath was located on the coast in the ne corner of the town at the end of Highland Avenue less than a mile from Fort Banks.
Dates of Operation
Established in 1899 as Battery Winthrop for coastal artillery purposes; last big gun firing 1904; post declared excess to Army needs 31 Jan 50; revived 16 May 51 due to Korean War and acted as center of ADA defenses around Boston up until early 60s. Placed in an inactive status 30 Sep 66. Map of Fort Banks from 1905
Twelve-inch mortars installed at Fort Banks during the Coast Artillery era (Courtesy of Gerald Butler, Army Engineers in New England 1775-1975 ,p. 114.)
Site visited Jun 2000. Area is seeing multi reuse: Senior citizen housing, cemetery,
condos and public works facility. A new "Fort Banks Elementary School" is under
construction. There's a small memorial and plaque dedicated to a gun explosion from the